Elements.

dominantSpeciesGUI2

Just a quick update. Once you get this stuff figured out, it seems to move along quite nicely. The elements are now rendering, as is the initial glaciated hex. Next task is to get player pawns rendering and then I will add the HUD.

I should point out that, while I can’t show you here, I can drag the board around with the mouse by right clicking, which is pretty neat. I can also zoom in and out with the mousewheel which is even neater.

It’s not completely smooth yet, but the crazy thing is that I know how to make it more fluid but it’s a low-priority task. What that means is, my workflow has become priority-based. There are multiple things that I know how to do and I can prioritize. This is very different from my usual hobbies (like writing fiction), where there’s a more or less linear progression. I could jump around from scene to scene, but I usually don’t. It’s a strange feeling and it has forced me to keep a small notebook full of things that need to be accomplished.

And here’s the kicker: when I get bored with one task, I can actually move on to something else for a while, which is something that is something that I could never really do when writing fiction. About the only thing that I could do when writing to alleviate a boredom-block would be to go back and edit (which is certainly not a bad thing to do, and is something that I honestly enjoy from time to time, it’s just… this feels very different.

Anyway, things are moving.

Nur das Licht fantastisch.

All the little creatures!

dominantSpeciesGUIpoc

The data structure which will represent the game is, for the most part, complete. Of course, this is the mathematical model that represents the state of the game at any particular time. Specifically, the very beginning. The functions and interactivity are not there yet. All the user can do right now is open the game, start a new game, interact with an option panel to determine the number of players, their colors and respective animals, and then begin the game, after which the randomly generated world will appear.

Remember, this is just a board game, so there is not procedural generation here. The terrain tiles are drawn from a deck of tiles (in Computer Science terms, it’s a Stack!).

But this is huge for me. The damned thing is rendering. From here, my path is clear. Establish game states, demand input from the user, and start keeping score. The UI is proofed. I know how it will work. I can present the world to the user. It’s… really something special for me.

I have also added a new feature to my workflow on this project. Git. It’s…remarkable in many ways. I wanted to install a git repository here on this domain, but since this is a shared hosting plan (the cheapest possible plan available), and I would have to pay about 3 times as many dollars for a VPS, I cannot do it. I’m not sure I’m up to the task of running a VPS, to be completely honest. So I’m hosting the git repository over on assembla and it is working out just fine. They aren’t charging me any dollars and it has completely changed the way I work on this project.

I used to talk a lot of politics and even discuss some science on this blog. I haven’t in quite some time. That’s not because I’m not still interested in politics. I am. I just hate it right now. Maybe later this week I’ll expound on that a bit. But I might not.

Be advised: New link on the sidebar to Sean Froyd PhD, a colleague and friend who blogs way more than I do and often has interesting things to say. I’ve been involved in some of his projects in the past. And there’s also the possibility of joint work in the future. So he’s up there on the bogroll!

Ninja edit to the Bogroll: Notes from the Apocalypse. Some very interesting projects from my good friend Dr. Quaddle, a doctor after my own heart.

Überprüfen Sie sich, bevor Sie sich zu ruinieren.